The punishment for superficially dealing with Jesus and God’s word is to suffer irony:
- If you claim you can see, Jesus won’t restore your sight (John 9:39).
- If you think you’re healthy, you won’t get a call from the physician. (Mark 2:17)
- If as high priest you say to Jesus, “I adjure you by the living God, tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God”, you will literally get an answer from God in the flesh (Matthew 26:63).
- If you reject Jesus for being born in Galilee, you won’t know where he comes from. “But we know where this man comes from, and when the Christ appears, no one will know where he comes from.” (John 7:27)
- If you think being born again is about water, your greatest rebirth will be that of a ritual bath. The wind will not blow in your direction (John 3:1-8).
- If you think Jesus is talking about eating his literal flesh and drinking his literal blood, you have no life in you (John 6:53).
- The very words of Jesus you reject will become your indictment. “The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has a judge; the word that I have spoken will judge him on the last day.” (John 12:48)
- If you tell Jesus, “I’m not married”, he agrees with you and points out that you’re sleeping with someone who you’re not married to. (John 4:17-18)
- If you insist that true worship is done in a temple on yet another mountain, “You worship what you do not know.” (John 4:22)
- If you complain that Jesus doesn’t have the authority to forgive a paralytic, he will tell the paralytic to leave (Matthew 9:1-8).
- If you complain that Christians are violating “Do not judge lest you be judged” (Matthew 7:1) simply by engaging in criticism, you will be judged.
- If you want to be like the gods of Psalm 82, you will become like the gods of Psalm 82 (John 10:34).
- If you reject Jesus for working on the Sabbath, you are rejecting the one who has the authority to work on the Sabbath (John 5:16).
- If you condemn Christians for taking care of their own, and refuse to be hospitable to Christians, Jesus will say to you, “I was hungry and you gave me no food” (Matthew 25:42).
- If you reject Jesus, or only superficially accept him, he will make a fool out of you. Your punishment will be ironic.
“Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.” (John 7:24)