Rachel Held Evans essentially argues that:
1. If God is retributive, then we should be too.
2. We ought not be retributive.
3. Therefore God is not retributive.
For Paul the apostle, the logic was the exact opposite:
1. If God will have vengeance, then we ought not avenge ourselves.
2. God will have vengeance.
3. Therefore we ought not avenge ourselves.
“Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, ‘Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.'” (Romans 12:17-19)